Monday, August 07, 2006

 

Going Back to Camp Casey, 2006

This was me doing some security/traffic duty late at night at Camp Casey I, 2005....

Well, the war is still raging in Iraq, people are dying in record numbers, mainly innocent Iraqi civilians. Way too many children are dying. American troops, mostly young men, continue to shed blood in this illegal war. As history (and many people, like Fisk and Pilger) predicted, the invasion and occupation were doomed to fail before they even began. Just like the British occupation nearly a century ago.

I spent a week at Camp Casey last year, taking photos and video, and volunteering whenever possible. I met a lot of wonderful people, and despite the high temperatures and tough outdoor conditions, I felt I needed to be there to support Cindy and what she is fighting for. I also went to the huge march in DC in September last year.

We ask "for what noble cause?" and demand an immediate withdrawal of all troops from Iraq. Continuing a failed policy, which only leads to more bloodshed on the part of all parties, simply does not make sense. The invasion and occupation are both illegal, and was based on lies. An unprovoked invasion on a sovereign state is a war crime, punishable by death. I don't believe in the death penalty, but I think our leaders who lied to get us into this illegal war should be held accountable. The people of Iraq want us out, and I think it makes sense to listen to the people of the country. I think the killings would immediately be reduced substantially, once the foreign occupying army (primarily the US) leaves.

Anyway, I will be flying to Austin Thurs, Aug. 17th, and leaving Monday, August 21. I will be camping at Camp Casey III, and will attempt to post photos to this blog daily. Additionally, I will post more photos upon my return to Louisville. (I'd rather be out meeting people, protesting, and interacting than sitting behind a computer when I'm in Crawford).

My main Blog is Raysmonkeyhouse.blogspot.com, and you can find a link to it on the left.

Cheers,

-Nimbus Couzin

Comments:
how is it illegal?

There is no such thing as 'international law', only a series of treaties entered into by soverign states. The UN is the equivelent of a trade union for nation states, it is not the top tier of world wide government.

As such, it has no authority except that allowed by the members, therefore there is no international law in the sense that there is an enforced law in the US or the UK or Israel or Japan etc...

This war may have been dumb, ill conceived, immoral even, but it definitly was not illegal
 
I disagree. There is such a thing as international law. The US has signed on to the treaties you refer to.

Lack of enforcement, does not indicate a lack of understood rules (i.e. Law).

-nimbus

Have you heard of crimes against humanity, or war crimes? Who do you think defined these? What is your "top tier" of gov't??
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?